Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tandoori Chicken



Do you remember Flamin' Hot Funyans?"  the Mad Scientist asked as we continued a three day long conversation about whether it was the advent of having our own child, or our unwillingess to buy a TV that is making us old.  Thankfully, reliable Wikipedia taught me that Funyans predate both of us, but here's a list of 25 Snacks that date me.  These days the kids are drinking Lemonade Brisk not surge, and they are eating Hot Cheetos and Takis rather than 3D Doritos.  If you don't know about Hot Cheetos and Takis here's a YouTube video that went viral last summer.



I thought becoming an old person would be difficult, but here's a list of five things that I don't mind leaving in the past:
  1. Loading Homestarrunner.com videos via dial up internet connections
  2. Von Dutch Hats (or all Trucker Hats)
  3. Razr Phones
  4. Sabrina the Teenage Witch
  5. Puka Shell Necklaces
Even though I was an awkward teenage in the 2000s, I love that the decade made the world a lot smaller place, and I survived to become the work in progress that I am today.  Because of the turn of the century decade, I can sit in my house today and learn about other people and other cultures from my computer.  However, culture is meant to be experienced not Googled which is one reason that I am learning to cook.  I want to travel and eat out and experience culture, but bedtime is 7:30PM around here, so this at least somewhat authentic recipe is a great option for the housebound adult.

This Tandoori Chicken is a flavor explosion (obviously, there are about 15 different spices), that marinates overnight and bakes to perfection.  I always thought Indian food was difficult to make, but now I realize that you just need a lot of aromatics which I had on hand anyhow.  I hope you take the time to make this recipe because you will not regret it.

Tandoori Chicken

This classic Indian meal is one of the easiest ways to make chicken night something to look forward to

Ingredients:
  • 2 Chicken Quarters (skin on)
  • 1/2 C Greek Yogurt
  • 1/2 Lemon worth Lemon Juice
  • 5 Cloves Garlic- Minced
  • 2" Freshly grated Ginger
  • 1/2 Yellow Onion- Minced
  • 1T Cumin
  • 1t Coriander
  • 1t Cayenne Pepper
  • 1t Cinnamon
  • 1t Nutmeg
  • 1t Allspice
  • 1t Paprika
  • 1/2T Chili Powder
  • 2t Salt
Instructions
1. Combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, onions, ginger and all spices in a bowl
2. Poke chicken in several places with a fork or knife (this allows full marination)
3. Thickly layer yogurt mixture over chicken in a dish, cover and marinate overnight
4. Bake at 450 for 45 minutes. Check that chicken is completely done before eating
5. Service with rice, red onion, cilantro and lemon

No comments :

Post a Comment