Saturday, March 22, 2014

Turkey Chili

I Love this Flavor Packed Chili!

I am a relative amateur to the whole mom thing, but I did hope that I would be a natural.  It turns out I am not.  For example, I will tell you how my son nearly died yesterday.  

From all my babysitting experiences, I learned that kids are irrational and they don't like toys. As a result, I have bought very few toys for Littlest.  Instead, I keep a Tupperware bin full of household objects on the floor of our living room that Littlest can use for playing.  These objects are mostly smallish tupperware that he can hold himself along with some unused sponges and washcloths.

This worked great for about three weeks, but now he thinks that he should be able to play with all the boxes in our house.  Yesterday, as I was working in my office, I thought of an ingenious ploy to trick littlest.  I filled a small box on our book shelf with random objects from around the office that wouldn't kill him, and then I set him in front of the box.  The box contained old credit cards, a few random plastic objects, and a large pack of gumballs.  The gumballs were in a plastic package, and Littlest loves plastic.  I thought because the package was closed he would be safe.

I was wrong.  Within about two minutes of playing, I looked over to hear him shrieking in delight, and I saw this:

Blue Gumball Drool!

Littlest had not only managed to get the package open, but he put one enormous gumball into his mouth, and was gnawing on it.  I snatched the gumball out of his mouth and he started crying hysterically.  I was just relieved that he hadn't died.

So moral of the story, I probably need to buy toys for the Littlest one, and be a lot more careful about what is in reach.  Maybe next year I can go for mom of the year, but this incident assures me that I am out of the running for now.

At least we had a virtuous dinner, and Littlest got to eat some too!  This turkey chili is flavorful but not overly spicy.  Like most chilis it is very chunky and relies minimally on broth. The sweet potatoes take the place of beans in this chili and provide a sweetness and a richness that beans do not.  Also, the smokiness of the chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce is a flavor that I've been craving lately.  I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

Turkey Chili

This turkey chili is a savory meal with just a kick of sweet and spicy. Replacing the beans with sweet potatoes was inspired by a common substitution in Paleo cookbooks.


Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6 Generous Servings

Ingredients
  • 1/2 Red Onion Diced
  • 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
  • 1 lb Ground Turkey
  • 1/2 Can Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
  • 6 oz Prepared Salsa Verde
  • 14 oz Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 Sweet Potato Diced
  • 1-2 Cups Chicken Stock
  • 1 Tablespoon Cumin
  • 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
  • 2 Teaspoons Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Instructions
1. Heat Olive Oil in a large stock pot
2. Add onions, garlic and ground turkey until turkey is browned (about 6 minutes)
3. Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, spices and slowly add chicken stock to your desired thickness.
4. Allow chili to simmer for at least 30 minutes (longer is better)
5. Serve with sour cream, mozzarella, tortilla chips, avocado and cilantro


No comments :

Post a Comment