Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Corn Flour Pancakes

Corn Flour Pancakes covered in a ridiculously delicious sour cream glaze!
When it comes to breakfast fare, I tend to skew towards proteins.  And by proteins, I only mean eggs.  I love egg bake, egg quesadillas, poached eggs, scrambled eggs, really any eggs are right in my wheelhouse.  

But really, sometimes a girl needs to eat cake for breakfast. Enter pancakes.

Pancakes have absolutely no nutritional value, but they are good for the soul (and your relationship if your husband craves carbs in the morning).

The Mad Scientist (and Littlest) loves pancakes, and an interesting relational tidbit is this: The Mad Scientist nearly proposed to me on the same night that he first tasted my homemade pancakes (please remember, correlation does not prove causation).

A few weeks back pancakes were ruling the day on my news feed. I eagerly hopped on the fancy pancake wagon only to find out later that the abundance of pancakes were remnants of Fat Tuesday and I was supposed to be off of pancakes for Lent.

Well, Lent is almost over, and to be honest I was not fasting but when you do break your fast, put these bad boys on the menu.  

The corn flour adds a heartier texture while maintaining the light and fluffy characteristics that I demand in a pancake.  While the flavor hints of corn tortillas, the added sweetness from the sugar (and importantly that sour cream glaze) puts these hot cakes more in the realm of sweetened corn bread than tortillas.

Now let's talk for a minute about this sour cream glaze.  Amazing! Sweet, Tangy, Savory and absolutely perfect with these pancakes.  Maple Syrup might be good on these pancakes but I don't like maple syrup, so I don't actually know. This glaze though, is the crowning jewel on the pancakes proverbial head.

The inspiration for the glaze came from the fact that the pancake batter reminded me of corn tortillas, and I was inspired to make pancake tacos.  This glaze was my riff on sour cream, but when it was complete, I realized we had no bacon, and I really wasn't in the mood for making a sweet salsa after all (although cranberry salsa was briefly considered).  If you do happen to roll some bacon into these pancakes, I don't think you will be dissappointed; you know what they say. Bacon is delicious.

Enjoy!


print recipe

Corn Flour Pancakes
The perfect heartier pancake. A delicious spin on a favorite breakfast classic.
Ingredients
  • 1.5 Cups Corn Flour
  • 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
  • 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1.5 Tablespoons Sugar
  • 1-2 Cups depending on batter consistency (I used 2 cups) Milk
  • 1 Egg
  • 1.5 Teaspoons Vanilla
Instructions
1. Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly2. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add egg, vanilla and one cup of milk3. Mix ingredients and continue to add milk until batter is thin enough to pour but thick enough to cling to a spoon.4. Pour pancake batter onto a hot griddle. Flip pancakes when the bubbles that form on the surface of the pancake are popped.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 Servings


print recipe

Sour Cream Glaze
This is the perfect topping for the best ever Corn Flour Pancakes.
Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup Sour Cream
  • approx 1/4 Cup Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Vinegar
  • 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
Instructions
1. Combine all ingredients, but don't add all the sugar. 2. After thoroughly mixing, taste and add more sugar to suit your tastes. I really liked the 3 to 1 ratio of Sour Cream to sugar, but many people prefer more or less.3. Serve on top of warm pancakes (keeps for a week in the fridge)
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 Generous Servings

No comments :

Post a Comment